This morning I’ve been on the phone with a job recruiter for a position within my industry. This is what is required for me to move onto the step of being potentially considered for an interview:
- Complete 35 minute personality assessment test.
- Provide 6 references (that’s right, 6) – including 2 former managers and at least two colleagues and cannot include personal friends
- In two-page written essay format, provide them answers to why I want this position and why I think I would be a good fit for their organization.
Obviously I have to jump through these hoops. Because, being unemployed, you don’t really get to decide which hoops will lead to something and which hoops are a waste of time. (Spoiler alert: for me, they all seem to be a waste of time) Nevertheless, setting aside the fact that this entire list pisses me off, I have a few questions of my own.
- When did a generic online personality assessment test become more valuable to a hiring manager than a genuine character reading through face to face interaction?
- Since you’re asking me job interview questions in a personality assessment test, if I make it to the interview process, what will you actually ask me in a job interview?
- Isn’t six references a little bit overkill? It’s not like I’m applying for the Canadian Spy agency, here. Have you had that poor luck with people in this past that you require speaking to six references to ensure that I am who I say I am?
- Why do you get the right to require references of me before you’re even willing to show an interest in interviewing me? Maybe I’m alone in this, but, the way that I see it, you should only be provided references once you’ve met and interviewed me and you’re looking to verify that my character matches that of which just sat in front of you and answered your questions proficiently.
- Beyond teaching you that I check my spelling and grammar, what is my writing an essay going to teach you? Your company isn’t that special, nor is this job. If you’re hoping for me to beg or grovel in this essay, it’s not going to happen.
- Do you believe that your company is special? Do you believe you’re doing something that every other company in the industry is lacking in right now? Because if so, how about you share that with me? It might make me feel like I’m selling my soul a little less when I write this, because so far as I can see, it looks like every other position on every other website listed.
I’m beginning to think maybe the best job out there for me these days is just to work at 7-11 as a cashier. Honestly, I doubt 7-11 would make me write an essay for a job.