It’s the simple things…

I don’t want a fancy house. I don’t have to have fancy jewelry. I don’t desire designer goods. I don’t think expensive restaurants are all that great. I don’t need the newest and best, the biggest or the brightest. There’s nothing wrong with any of these things, they’re just not something I long for.

When I think about my life, I don’t quantify it in the things I own, I quantify it in the places I’ve been, the people I’ve met, the things I’ve seen.

I like simple. I like moments. I like sunsets and seascapes. I like the serenity in the air after a rain storm has ended. I like driving down the highway when a good song comes on the radio and I can’t help but sing at the top of my lungs. I love cultures and people who show me a way of life that’s not my own. I appreciate people who make me think about things in a way that I never have before. I admire people who are true to themselves and damn proud of being so. I appreciate honesty and authenticity and if I could ask for one thing in life, it would be more honesty and authenticity from the people in my life… and people everywhere.

If I could give thing to every person I meet, it would be a compliment. Whether you know the person or not, a compliment can always brighten the day of someone… even when they’re down in the dumps. I know this firsthand because I know how much I appreciate it when people pay me compliments. Speaking of compliments, Blog of the Wolf Boy paid me a huge compliment in asking me to partake in his ‘Behind the Author’ series for his blog. So stay tuned for that.

What I want out of life is happiness. And it’s definitely the simple things in life that make me happy. A smile, a laugh, a sunny day, exceeding potential, passionate kisses, thoughtful gestures, I could go on and on. To me, I don’t want fancy, I don’t want designer, I don’t need expensive. I just want the quiet nobility of leading a good life and an appreciation for the things I’ve seen and the things I’ve accomplished and a wanderlust for the places I’ve not yet been.

39 thoughts on “It’s the simple things…

  1. This is something I’ve learned a few times. Before, during and after my first divorce, I learned how material things can’t buys happiness. I moved out of our huge house to a tiny apartment and was so much happier.
    After my ECT treatments, I’ve learned how much I cherish memories (I “lost” 3 years of my life with the side effect of memory loss that comes with the treatments). I take pictures more often now.
    In sobriety, I’ve truly learned the most about myself and have really begun to dig in to the differences between needs and wants and also that I’ve gained some of the greatest things in life (self respect) by losing people I loved dearly.
    It’s not easy by any means, but the life lessons and tiny blessings we each walk away with are so much more valuable than the shiny new car or premium cat food. 🤓 Although, I actually feed my cats better food than I do myself sometimes. 🤣🤣🤣😹😹😹
    Happy almost weekend!!! 🥰🥰🥰

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Cats are important for our mental health and well being, though. You need to treat them like royalty… so they can be assholes 90% of the time and then love you 10% of the time and make you forget about the other 90% of the time hahahaha

      Liked by 1 person

  2. That was beautifully written, V! It’s all about quality over quantity I think. Being happy and content with life in the present moment is a precious commodity yet abundant. Available to all of us yet so hard for us to actually acquire. Life is a paradox.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks lady! ❤ It is really hard to acquire the mentality, but I think once you find it, you know it. The grass seems greener, the big things seem better, the little things seem less important. It affects the way you see the world!

      Liked by 1 person

  3. You just made me smile and voiced what is in my own dear heart. We stay in a very small town. I always wave at everybody and put my best genuine smile on. I thank the person sweeping the road, because without him everything will be a mess. Yes the small things… Well written btw.

    Liked by 2 people

    1. Thank you so much ❤ This comment really brought a smile to my face this afternoon, on a day when I really needed it. Sending some positivity your direction as a thank you!

      Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you ❤ I appreciate your reading and taking the time to leave such a sweet comment. You're pretty wonderful for brightening my afternoon.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s