Okay, Christmas might not actually be cancelled, but it’s going to look a hell of a lot different this year then ever before. Alberta has put *ACTUAL* restrictions in place. These aren’t the measures from two weeks ago that allowed our cases to continue skyrocketing past the rest of the country. These are actual restrictions.
Do I think they’re going to go far enough? Probably not. But it’s a damn good place to start.
- Gyms – Closed
- Restaurants – Take out only
- Bars – Closed, unless they serve food in which case it’s take-out only
- Stores – 15% capacity (includes grocery stores, which means they’re going to go from bad to worse)
- Any and all fitness and recreation facilities – Closed
- Hair salons, barbers – Closed
- Churches – Not closed. (Probably should be given the state of Alberta)
- Social gatherings – Not allowed. Indoor and outdoor included.
- Work from home – Four weeks.
- Casinos – Closed. (Should have been closed all along)
- Waterparks – Closed (Should have been closed all along)
- Nail salons, personal grooming places that do things like waxing and whatnot – closed.
- Massage – Closed.
- Sports – Postponed for four weeks.
I am sure there are others.
Oh and masks. FINALLY MASKS! Two weeks ago he was really proud to not implement a provincial wide mask mandate. Now he had to swallow some crow and implement a provincial wide mask mandate.
You’re not allowed to have Christmas with anyone who doesn’t live in your home. (Yes, I realize that’s a double-negative). You’re not supposed to travel into, or out of, Alberta if travel isn’t essential. What else? Oh I’m sure there’s other stuff. It was quite the press conference. One most of us have been waiting for months for.
Now, time will tell if these restrictions will save lives, and give some much needed ease to an extremely over-stretched health care system.