This is a ‘tag’ I’ve seen going around WordPress lately. I’ve honestly seen it done so many times that I couldn’t tell you who started it. SORRY! That being said, I enjoy reading lists like these because I believe it tells you more about the person who has written them. I wasn’t a huge fan of some of the categories, so I left some out and changed two. Otherwise, the following is my addition to the ‘five things’ tag!
FIVE THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN GETTING ME THROUGH QUARANTINE:
- A foam roller – These are great for helping to relive muscle tightness, soreness and inflammation. The one I own I actually bought at Dollarama for $4.00. That being said, there are various types of these I’ve seen priced anywhere from $4.00 – $120.00. So if you want to spend some real money on it, it’s not hard!
- Vaseline Clinical Care Extremely Dry Skin Rescue Hand Cream – My hands were getting so dry from washing them and slathering them in sanitizer 40 times a day that they were starting to crack and bleed. I think it was $3.99 at the local drugstore and it’s been a real gem for my poor hands.
- Herbaland Vegan Protein Gummies – Knight was the person who actually found and bought these for me. They’re an extremely low-sugar, vegan protein snack that kind of tastes like candy. I’m not sure if you can get these outside of Canada as the company is headquartered in Vancouver, but if you can they’re definitely worth trying if you’re a fan of protein snacks.
- The Ordinary Caffeine Eye Concetrate – My sister in law bought this for me after hearing me complain about stress wrinkles forming under my eyes and, while I’d never heard of this before she left it at my front door, I can without a doubt say that it’s quickly becoming the best eye cream/serum/gel that I’ve ever tried.
- Thrifted Nike crewneck sweater – I actually bought this in summer 2019 at a local Thrift Store for $4.00. It’s just the perfectly comfortable, oversized grey crewneck sweater that dreams are made of.
FIVE BLOGS THAT ARE WORTH CHECKING OUT:
- Cynical Wordsmith – Poetry, Introspection, Life
- Filosofa’s Word – Politics, Snarky Snippets, World Events, Writing
- Marla On The Move – Travel, Stories from a world I’ve only ever dreamed of being able to see
- RebeccaGoesRendezvous – Travel, Stories from a world I’ve only ever dreamed of being able to see
- RTS – Facing the Challenges of Mental Health – Writing, Mental Health, Self Care, Introspection
FIVE YOUTUBE CHANNELS THAT I ENJOY WATCHING:
- Abandoned Urbex Canada – Run by a gutsy explorer, this YouTube channel takes a deep dive into abandoned towns, communities, homes and cultures across Canada.
- Daniel Schiffer – Daniel is a self-taught videographer who uses his channel to teach, freely, the likes of videography, editing, production and all of the tricks to the trade that he’s learned over the years.
- FlavCity with Bobby Parrish – The host talks a lot about nutrition, how to read ingredients lists on processed products and how to understand what’s truly in the food you’re eating. IE There’s a half dozen different terms that can be used on ingredient lists to note sugar, without actually stating that sugar is an ingredient.
- Levi Hilderbrand – Levi talks a lot about what it really means to be environmentally conscious and not in the ‘buzzword’ sense of being trendy. Some of his content is a little out there for me, but a lot of his videos really make me stop and think about the choices I’m making and what’s best for the environment and for myself.
- True Crime Daily – The content is exactly what the title suggests. I love this YouTube channel because of my deep fascination with true crime and desire to discover what drives people to commit crimes and do horrible things.
FIVE FOODS THAT I LOVE:
- Baked sweet potato with a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Cacao Nibs (if I close my eyes and think really hard about it, I can trick myself into believing they’re chocolate chips)
- Mashed Potatoes (Yeah, I clearly like carbs. lol)
- Seaweed Snack
FIVE TV SHOWS THAT I LIKE TO REWATCH:
- Criminal Minds
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
- Law & Order SVU
- Two Broke Girls
FIVE SONGS THAT I COULD LISTEN TO ON REPEAT:
- Arkells – Leather Jacket
- Bruce Springsteen – Dancing in the Dark
- Elvis Presley – Heartbreak Hotel (this version specifically linked)
- Mumford & Sons – I will wait
- Otis Redding – Sitting on the dock of the bay
FIVE PLACES I’M DREAMING OF GOING WHEN IT’S SAFE TO TRAVEL AGAIN:
- Las Vegas
- South Africa
- The Cook Islands
FIVE THINGS THAT FASCINATE ME:
- Religious Fundamentalism and Extremists versus Cults
- True Crime and what causes people to commit heinous acts of violence
- Culture and how it differs not just from country to country but from east to west, and how different regions within the same country can be vastly different cultures
- How manipulation tactics drive hyper-consumerism
- If there is a difference between being good and doing good and if there’s some happy medium between the two
FIVE THINGS I STRUGGLE WITH:
- Admitting when I am wrong
- Seeing the brighter side to life when there’s so much bad in the world
- Understanding my value
FIVE PEOPLE THAT I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO MEET:
- Anderson Cooper
- Jessica Mulroney
- Justin Trudeau
- Kenny Chesney
- I know this doesn’t really count as he’s already passed away, but I would’ve loved to have met Anthony Bourdain while he was still alive. I would’ve loved to just sit and chat about travel and culture and food and life while eating something that scared me but didn’t phase him at all. That would’ve been cool.
FIVE THINGS I WANT FOR THIS WORLD:
- Progressive governments
- Progressive culture so that people don’t have to live in fear of being themselves in the truest and most authentic forms
- Belief in climate change followed with effective steps moving forward to help protect the earth and not do unnecessary harm
Have you seen the ‘Five Things’ tag floating around WordPress? What are your top five? If you make a post about it, let me know and I’ll check it out!